Marchmont Association
Bloomsbury London WC1

'Residents and businesses improving
the local area for the benefit of all'

Short Term Lettings Scourge by rdef

  Short Term Lettings Scourge


Short Term Lettings Scourge

Bookmark and Share

We have received many reports from concerned local residents about nearby residential accommodation being used as short-stay holiday lets.

They have complained about the noise made by visitors with no local connections or respect for their neighbours, including loud parties in the early hours of the morning and comings and goings at unsocial hours. High turnover of visitors/renters also reduces the sense of community and raises the fear of crime, whilst also reducing the availability of valuable permanent housing for those in need.

Camden Council’s current planning policy is to resist development that changes permanent housing to short stay accommodation/holiday lets, with applications for whole residential properties, including single-dwelling houses and flats, to be converted to short term/ holiday lettings likely to be refused. If these regulations are not followed, Camden will consider this an unauthorised change of use for which planning permission will be required. They will then take appropriate enforcement action which can include serving an Enforcement Notice to require the use to cease.

If you suspect a property is being improperly used for short term/holiday lettings please let Camden know. A 'tell-tale' sign that short-lets are taking place is the presence of small, metal key safes attached to nearby railings. We have been notified of several of these objects attached to the railings of Judd Street Open Space, adjacent to the Council block named Bramber. Another sign is people with suitcases congregating on the footway outside houses and flats, as in the photo opposite, where they are waiting patiently for the landlord's representative to let them in.

Our advice to local leaseholders and tenants: If you are thinking of renting out your home to short-stay visitors for more than a total of 90 days in a calendar year, you are strongly advised to first check whether there are any restrictions in your leases, tenancies, insurance or type of mortgage that would prevent you letting out your property to somebody else. All tenants should speak to their landlord before letting anyone stay in their home. Council tenants are not permitted to let the whole of a Council rented property. You will need to apply for full planning permission to convert a flat or house into a short term/ holiday let if you intend to let the property for more than a total of 90 days in any one calendar year. Short term lettings are defined as periods of less than 90 days. Permission is not required to let properties on longer leases over 90 days in length, or if you let a room within your property whilst you are still living there on a permanent basis.

Additional Info:  


Created On 04 February 2017

International Furniture Expo Furniture Manufacturing Chinese Furniture industry Furniture Exhibitions Surface Deco Shanghai Furniture Exhibition Wardrobe Fittings

Home | About Us | Improvement | Conservation | Events | Shops & Services | Partners

Copyrightę Marchmont Association. All rights reserved. | designed & maintained by Sure Productions Ltd | administrator

iscod blog