HOME

ABOUT US

IMPROVEMENT

CONSERVATION

EVENTS

PARTNERS

SHOPS/SERVICES

CONTACT


Marchmont Association
Bloomsbury London WC1

'Residents and businesses improving
the local area for the benefit of all'

Three Men and a Field – Bloomsbury North of Tavistock Place - on sale now by rdef

  Three Men and a Field – Bloomsbury North of Tavistock Place - on sale now

 

Three Men and a Field – Bloomsbury North of Tavistock Place - on sale now

Bookmark and Share

Three Men and a Field – Bloomsbury North of Tavistock Place, by Ricci de Freitas is on sale now at Skoob Books, 66 The Brunswick, WC1N 1AE, Judd Books, 82 Marchmont Street, WC1N 1AG, and Camden Local Studies & Archives Centre, Holborn Library, Theobald's Road - RRP £21.95.

This book will be of particular interest to residents, businesses and institutions located in the streets within the study area, including Marchmont Street (north), Tavistock Place, Cartwright Gardens, Leigh Street, Burton Street, Burton Place, Woburn Walk, Duke's Road, Sandwich Street, Thanet Street, Judd Street, Tonbridge Street, Bidborough Street, Mabledon Place, Hastings Street, Cromer Street (west), Flaxman Terrace, Upper Woburn Place and the east side of Tavistock Square.

Author's note: This lavishly illustrated book is centred on the development of that part of Lamb’s Conduit Fields which lay between the Foundling Hospital Estate and the New Road (later renamed Euston Road). This land, originally known as Sandhills, was acquired by Sir Andrew Judd in 1572, and became The Skinners’ Company Estate. It remained farm land until 1807, when the prolific Georgian architect, builder and developer, James Burton, turned his attention northwards from his extraordinary building exploits on Bloomsbury’s Foundling Hospital and Bedford Estates, respectively. By 1820, The Skinners’ Company Estate was an established residential district, with 11 new streets of houses reflecting a diverse range of social backgrounds and income groups, which are revealed street-by-street, along with the interesting stories of their most notable former residents. It was never intended to be a fashionable district, but it largely maintained its respectability until the 1880s, when, like much of Bloomsbury, it began to seriously decline. The area underwent a further transformation in the early 1900s, when Abraham Davis, under the auspices of the London Housing Society Ltd, single-mindedly replaced 13 ‘tired’ Georgian terraces with the impressive array of red-brick mansion blocks which characterise the area today.

Many thanks to St Mary’s with St George’s German Lutheran Church, 10 Sandwich Street for generously hosting the launch event on 16th October, to John-Paul Muir for his soothing jazz piano, and to Waitrose Bloomsbury for the Prosecco!

 

Additional Info:  

 
 
 

Created On 24 September 2018

 
International Furniture Expo Furniture Manufacturing Chinese Furniture industry Furniture Exhibitions Surface Deco Shanghai Furniture Exhibition Wardrobe Fittings

Home | About Us | Improvement | Conservation | Events | Shops & Services | Partners

Copyrightę Marchmont Association. All rights reserved. | designed & maintained by Sure Productions Ltd | administrator

iscod blog